About Me

My photo
I'm 57 years old, working full time, wife, mother and grand mother, wishing that I wasn't working full time! I love and enjoy our children and grandchildren, our dogs and cat, our garden and allotment. I love crafts - knitting, sewing, crocheting, patchwork and restoring old furniture. I love to go to country auctions and love thinking that I've got my self a bargain!

Sunday 15 July 2012

Rain, rain, go away.....



When is this rain ever going to go away - it is really getting to people now isn't it? We've just really given up with our allotment - the onions have keeled over along with the 120 runner beans - strangely though this weather doesn't seem to have the same effect on the weeds - they just keep growing stronger and stronger.

I feel for the poor farmers - the vegetable prices have already gone up in Morrison's and I can only see it getting worse and worse in the future for all of us.



So, for now,  we're going to concentrate on the house, and getting a few jobs done, the garden is looking really good now and I'm so pleased that we went with the green and white theme

We're going to paint the inside of the summer house next, and then start in the conservatory, it needs painting and we want to put a carpet down in there to make it warmer under foot for the winter.

Then it will be the bathroom -I've ordered a large tin of Farrow and Balls Lamp Room grey for the bottom half of the walls which is panelled and then it's going to be Farrow and Balls Pointing for the top of the walls - Laura Ashley have a sale on their materials at the moment, so I have been and  have chosen some rather nice pink gingham, which when the curtains are made will set it all off very nicely - all I have to do now is find the time to make them!  (then again if I'm made redundant I'll have the time to make all these home improvements but not the ready cash - hence the reason why we're getting all the paint etc., now whilst I can still afford it!).

Then it's the turn of the kitchen - it's a hand built pine kitchen - too good to take out but pine's dated now so we're going to paint the units and then put a new floor down  - I would love a new range cooker, mines 9 years old now - but we'll have to see how the pennies go with that one..............and then it will be Xmas!!

Has anyone else noticed - someone, somewhere seems to make the hands of time go much faster on a weekend than in the week - I hardly seem to blink and the weekends gone!

No other news so I'll wish you all a good week

Byee xx

12 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great and I love your decorating choices. It's been a grotty growing season, hasn't it? Too wet to potter and the plants don't know what the season is.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mum, it has certainly been a bad year for the allotment Oh well we'll just have to look forward to next year and hope it improves xx

      Delete
  2. Trudie your garden is very pretty. We've had quite a bit of flooding on the fields and the farm where we get our veg box is talking about the terrible losses they have suffered.
    We just came back from Ireland and it's the same there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kath, looks like you had a brilliant weekend - it's bad enough for us with just a small alotment but for the farmers it's their wages for the next 12 months isn't it xxx

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks lovely. I dread to think what state our allotment will be in by the time we get home.Most things had been eaten when we checked it before we left - even the courgettes had been decimated by slugs.I'm definitely going to have to buy veg this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlet - hope you're having a good rest and holiday - shame about your camera too - I will be buying veg all year this year too - safe journey home xxx

      Delete
  4. I LOVE your garden Trudie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds as if you are going to be busy in the house.It will be nice if you can post pictures of the bathroom when its done.
    I agree about the garden, everyone I know has said how their gardens have really taken a battering this year.A lot of crops have failed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take some before and after photo's Anne - might take a few weeks but we'll get there! xxx

      Delete
  6. We are the exact opposite right now, we NEED rain.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have some of ours with pleasure!!! have the bears been back again? xxx

      Delete